“Planting trees in whose shade we do not intend to sit” by conducting environment learning and teaching projects in southern Africa.
This is ELT’s philosophy, with the understanding that our efforts are not always apparent or measurable initially but will have a significant impact in the future.
Environment Learning and Teaching was founded in 2009 by facilitators with over 20 years’ experience.
Environment Learning and Teaching conduct educational projects in South Africa for education for sustainable development (ESD) competence. Competence in ESD refers to the knowledge, dispositions and a capacity to act together in ways that enable participants to recognize concerns, assess value and act on emerging matters of concern. (Schreiber & Siege, 2016).
Of the 17 UNESCO’s Sustainable Development Goals, through the educational projects ELT conducts they are addressing:
Environment Learning and Teaching focuses on:
- Active Learning
- Situated Learning Proxomity Experience
- Collaborative Monitoring, Evaluation, Reflection Learning
- Critical, Deliberative and Reflexive Thinking
Environment Learning and Teaching conducts projects throughout South Africa which incorporate:
- Continued Professional Teacher Development as a founding partner in the Fundisa for Change programme (www.fundisaforchange.co.za ). These courses are South African Council of Education endorsed and Rhodes University short-course accredited at NQF Level 5. These courses develop teacher confidence and competence in their teaching practices and address previous disparities in teacher training.
- Develop teaching and education supported learning material for southern Africa (e.g. Teaching Marine
Biodiversity, ISBN 978-1-919991-19-1).
- International co-operation projects links, ENO – Environment Online (www.enoprogramme.org) as a founder participant from 2000.
- Training Environmental Education practitioners in appropriate pedagogical processes.
- Support organisations to develop, design and strategize for EE/ESD projects appropriate for their situation, specialities and circumstances.
- Develop age related projects to support the teaching and learning for living planet protection.
Evaluation of sites of natural wonder and specific scientific interest areas for educational or research
purposes and/or potentials.